Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The two of us.



I first met Ruth in 1960. We were 17 and 14. Here we are in Jersey on our 40th wedding anniversary in 2005. Whose a lucky fellow? Already I've had 14 years of retirement with my best friend. We spend a lot of time doing separate things. Ruth these days is far more involved than I am in community life. A past President of her WI, committee member in gardening, flower and embroidery clubs and a member of other groups, she is out and about bringing home the gossip. After a lifetime of public and voluntary service I have withdrawn from organisations and groups apart from my table tennis and golf clubs. I spend my time either with Ruth doing the things described elsewhere in these pages or on my various hobbies and interests. My diary is free from meetings or commitments involving anything formal. It's my recipe for a contented retirement. And it works. For me.

No comments:

Post a Comment