Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Science



When you get to my age you start to realise just how much has happened in your lifetime. I read Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything" I was astonished at just how much new scientific discovery there has been in the past 20 years. It was a useful introduction to some wider reading. With such a vast subject, I found it really useful to read broad surveys of each major branch of science. I'm not clever enough to get into the detail.
What really stuck me about scientific discovery was both the vastness and smallness of things.

We live in a universe the size of which is beyond human comprehension or understanding. And yet we continue to discover that it consists of ever smaller particles. And the latter is driving ever more exciting technological discoveries. Just consider the internet, how it is changing, and how it will affect all our lives.

We could all spend 24 hours of every day studying science, and still only scratch the surface of what there is to know.







No comments:

Post a Comment